Saturday, October 18, 2008

Apple Heaven


Don't these look scrumpsious?!


Todd made the best apple pie!


Jamie dried some apples in her fancy food dehydrator.


I dried 3 times as many apples in Russ's homemade food dehydrator.

Then I made some yummy Apple Jelly. Here's how:

First wash the apples


Then cut them in quarters


Juice them (Russ has a juicer so I just used his, if you don't have a juicer then put the quarters in a large pot, add ten cups water and cook them. Once cooked strain the juice through cheesecloth. I used Sure Jell pectin so I needed 7 cups of juice)
I put the apple quarters in the juicer, filled it halfway then sprinkled on some apple pie spice filled it the rest of the way and sprinkled on some more spices. I thought this would give an extra yummy to the jelly.



I didn't take pictures of the next step because I had to do it quickly and according to the directions "exact."
I sent Todd to the store for the pectin and asked him to get the no sugar one, needless to say he got the one that you have to use sugar. But hey, he found the pectin. So whatever type of pectin you get just follow the directions exactly as they say.

Here is the finished product.




Note* If you don't have a generous uncle with an apple orchard I think it would be more cost effective to make the jelly out of apple juice you buy at the store.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I totally understand what you mean about getting apples. We got some and we did apple butter, apple sauce, and apple pie filling. They all turned out so good. We will definitely will have to chat when there is another family function. I'd love to get to know you and I have always wanted to but I have been to shy. Talk to ya soon!! FUN FUN CANNING!

Jodi said...

Um hell yes that pie looks good i sure wish i could snatch it right out of the computer, your quite ambitious i would rather just buy one ha, or have brad make one Yum

AuntShannon said...

That is so cool! Ya know, I have Grandma Petersen's Apple Dumpling recipe (which I improved upon, heh heh heh) and someday I will do a tutorial on my blog to show you (and whoever else is interested) how to make them!